Thursday, October 21, 2004

On the Media - Can't Cover the Bulge

This is interesting. If you don't know "On the Media" it is a radio show on NPR that focuses on stories about reporting and media. This is the transcript, but you can go to their archive and listen to the show too, if you like.

The question they are addressing is the "gatekeeping" function of major media and how ideas that don't come from mainstream reporters, but bubble up in the blogosphere, might get ignored in mainstream coverage. The issue in particular, is that "bulge" in Bush's back that we talked about in class. What do you think? On the Media - Can't Cover the Bulge: "HRIS SUELLENTROP: I think it's definitely a story to write about. A line I had in a piece I wrote about this, I said, 'You know, just because the umbrella man didn't shoot John F. Kennedy doesn't mean there wasn't an umbrella man and that we don't want to know, you know, who he is.' I don't know if you need to write about everything people are talking about, but - I mean I think the press obviously missed the Swiftboat story for a long time -- something people were talking about -- and the press just sort of ignored it. And they missed the story in, in a lot of ways. I've never seen a, a wrinkle in somebody's clothes that came out as a rectangle. "

No comments: