Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Cutting edge.I did have a CueCat and it was very cool. I could scan any can in my pantry or product in my refrig and get connected to their website. The Radio Shack catalog was scannable. The Milwaukee Sentinel-Journal had scannable stories and some TV stations were experimenting with bcasting a cuecat signal. The cuecat was in most ways like a computer mouse, however, its plastic was formed in the shape of a cat.

I tried to get the college to barcode the catalogue and course information so students could use it in registration. With Oasis, the current registration system, there is too much clicking and waiting for pages to load. Cuecat was a swiper, so one swipe and the info you needed loaded on your screen.

There were not enough books with ISBN info barcoded, either. I pictured using cuecat to compile a bibliography without lots of typing, but from a scan of my personal library, the use of barcode and information that was reliable, was spotty.

Anyway, now you can use your phonecam to scan barcode. Wired News: Camera Phones Link World to Web

No comments: